Friday, July 21, 2006

It's Tomato Time in Tennessee!

As my family well knows, besides black-eyed peas, my all time favorite food (when in season) is fresh tomatoes from the garden. (Preferably my Grandparents' garden) This year I decided to try yet one more time to grow tomatoes in East Tennessee- not an easy task. So, Ben and I put a garden in our front flower bed, where we actually get lots of sun. Besides tomatoes, Ben and I are growing a sunflower plant and watermelon. Thanks to my friend, Monogram Momma, I started the sunflower and watermelon seeds in a nifty, all natural way by using empty whole egg shells to start the seedlings. After they sprouted, we planted them all in the ground. Two plants actually survived, and I think one watermelon vine is just fine, otherwise it may have taken over our house. I also discovered a nifty device called the topsy turvy tomato planter. It is hanging off my back deck, and seems to be doing fine, although it is not yielding as many tomatoes as promised. Check it out! We are actually going to have fresh tomatoes soon. Ben has sure enjoyed watering the plants and watching them grow.


No comments: