Thursday, August 30, 2007

In the Garden with Ben, Maddie and Carly!

Last week we had a really fun afternoon of picking tomatoes. Ben has become really interested in gardening. He wants to know about how everything from eggplants to lemons grow. His favorite book right now is "How Groundhog's Garden Grew". I've started becoming quite a savvy library user (isn't that the best- free books???!!) and, I have been searching for all children's books on gardening-vegetables-or both. This book seems to be his favorite- and thanks to this latest obsession, he even enjoys watching Everyday Italian on Food Network . No, I am not kidding. He wants to meet Giada. Duh. So here we are at our "cousins" outing at a local u-pick farm. There were so many great photos, i had to do a slide show. The heat was almost unbearable, but it was a great lesson to the kids on just how difficult farming is. These photos bring back such sweet memories for me - I was really taken back to summer's at my Grandparent's farm - I am lucky to have these memories, and I want my children to have some too- so here's to a big....well, ok, a garden next year! I hope you are reading, Pa Paw!
The last photo is of the owners of the U-pick farm- they were just great. They usually specialize in blueberries, but this year, the frost got them all. bummer. But the tomatoes were sure good!

No comments: