Monday, September 11, 2006

Autumn Song

I was riding along in my most favorite car, my Honda Odessey, when on my second favorite invention, XM radio(second to Tivo), played a song by my second favorite songwriter, Van Morrison (second to Joni Mitchell), it was called The Autumn Song. It was great to be riding along, sans kids, just enjoying the moment. Autumn. Isn't this a great season? So, you're wondering how I am riding along without my kids? No, I did not leave them at the grocery store, my Dear Dear Mom joined us yesterday to help me out with some much needed childcare. I had to report for jury duty this morning- and interesting act of civic responsibility, which I quicky evaded because I the primary caretaker of two beautiful kids. I and about 300 other Knoxvillians showed up this morning to do our civic responsibilities. I have to admit, that getting dressed- with real clothes, makeup and hair products was fun, as I toyed with the thought of going back to work. I would be lying if I said the thought of someone else lovingly caring for my kids while I earned money and exercised my brain didn't totally rock. Then, I realized that this is a very fleeting time, Maddie and Ben won't be this age forever, and that I can go back to work when they are older. I must explore this more, because frankly I, like many other moms out there are torn by this - let's face it Motherhood is great, but my brain feels like jello. Well, I digress.
Here is an update on the wonderful goings on in Knoxvegas.

Friday afternoon started with a bang. We headed to the park again, and Ben honed his baseball skills. I know I sound like an obnoxious parent, but really, because I am not responsible for his genetic make-up I feel perfectly comfortable gushing about his athletic abilities. So, watch out. I am gushing. Golf, baseball, hockey, tennis, swimming. He is not even 3 yet! Ok. I am finished.













After the park we had some heavenly pie at Mellow Mushroom pizza. After that we decided to forego any Friday Night Lights in an effort to get the boy to bed earlier. Nights have been hell for us lately as Ben is in the habit of letting us know how much he needs us at 2,3 and 4 am. It is not fun. We proceeded to seek any and every bit of advice for getting our toddler to sleep better, and decided that an earlier bedtime (like 7:30) might be better. That way slumber might come at 8-8:30 instead of starting at 8:30 etc. Well, as of today, our efforts are paying off, as Ben is getting a bit better. It is a journey right?
Saturday came, and I got to actually help in a great community effort called FISH. Many volunteers and I come together once a month (several churches each take one day a month to run this program) We happen to take the second Saturday of each month) anyway, FISH is a "hotline" anyone may call that provides a three day supply of food for any individual in need regardless of their situation. I was able to help coordinate taking calls, and dispatching delivery I was thankful Todd stayed home with the kids while I exercised my brain and felt much better for it.


Remember the Watermelon???
Well, we ate it Saturday. It was yummy.






Then, we had some great friends from Johnson City drop by as they were in town for a soccer tourney. Hannah put on a great show Sun. for all, and we got a glimpse of life with active teenagers. Yikes, and I thought I was sleep deprived now???



We just thought we would share Ben's first crush with everyone. We hope you will keep him in mind, Avery!

No comments: